Set in the Wiltshire countryside by a lake, Old Wardour Castle was built in the 14th century as a lightly fortified luxury residence becoming one of the most daring and innovative homes in Britain. In May 1643 Lady Blanche Arundell, was left to defend the castle after refusing a search for Royalists. Following a siege of five days the castle was threatened with complete destruction. Although agreeing to surrender, Lord Arundell’s son, Henry, blew up much of it a year later.
Acrylic ink on paper
49cm (W) x 34cm (H)